Week 30: Trends Influencing NZ

Emerging Trend #3: Increased Emphasis on Application Based Learning

Developing classrooms that are future focused, interactive and collaborative is increasing
in popularity. With the addition of Modern Learning Environments, and Innovating Learning
Environments, and all the other variations of these - there has been an increasingly demand
for teachers to begin adopting some of these pedagogical approaches to the classroom, at
least from observation and experience this seems to be the case.
Rolfe et al.’s (2001) reflective model
What was I trying to achieve?
Today’s learners are digital natives (Daggett, 2014). Digital citizenship is one of key focuses
of today’s education system. Many schools are not preparing students for success in the
world they will inhabit (Daggett, 2014). This year, I’ve attempted to implement this feature,
as well as other 21st century learning experiences to the classroom. There were several
ways I applied these concepts to my classroom.
  • Collaborative learning tasks, with open ended questions.
  • Digital implementation during learning times.
  • Developed student directed learning times, where students had free choice to direct
  • what they were learning.
With the integration of technology into the classroom, coupled with rich collaborative learning
experiences, and giving students autonomy and choice in the classroom - I thought I was
bound to find success. The digital implementation, although great in theory, required a lot
more set up than anticipated. With the broad range of age groups in my classroom (Years 3-5)
, much of the actual content and skills we covered were not easily accessible by our younger
or lesser able students. While discussing this point it was also interesting to observe that
those who were capable users of digital technologies weren’t collaborating, but were just
completing the work independently. Student agency was another concern for my classroom.
Instead of students becoming curious and interested in directing their learning, they became
more reliant on the teacher. Many of the students also took the lack of boundaries as an
excuse not to work, choosing not to work on particular projects, as it was “their choice” to do
so.

So what did I base my actions on?
One very clear observation I made was that I left much of my implementation up to
assumption. I began implementing much of this on what I perceived to be best practice,
and experimented with a lot of different applications in the classroom. Although there is
research to support some of these aspects mentioned, I didn’t consult or inform myself
when beginning this journey. This has led to some obvious backfiring, both from myself
and from my students.
Now what do I need to do in order to make things better/stop being stuck/improve my
teaching/resolve the situation/feel better/get on better/etc., etc.?
Developing a strong understanding of the literature, and applying these theories and concepts
appropriately may have resulted in a more positive impact for my students, and myself. It’s of
the utmost importance that educators understand the ramifications of future focused learning,
and develop a strong understanding of the research that exists in this sector. While our
schools continue to provide a quality education to our students, the world in which students
will live and work is changing and advancing at an even faster rate than improvements in our
schools (Daggett, 2014). Basing this approach on assumptions and hunches is simply not
best practice, and I’ve found out first hand the importance of being informed and armed with
the appropriate knowledge and resource to best implement these ideas into the classroom.

Word count: 588
Daggett, B. (2014). Addressing Current and Future Challenges in Education. Retrieved from http://www.leadered.com/pdf/2014 MSC_AddressingCurrentandFutureChallenges.pdf

Comments

Popular Posts