Week 18: Future-focused Learning
Week 18: Future-focused learning
Theme 5: A culture of continuous learning for teachers and educational leaders
| Activity 2: Reflecting on changes in my future oriented teaching practice Create a reflective entry to critically reflect upon how you have positively changed your practice during your postgraduate journey. Your reflections should be based on a suitable reflective model of your choice. |
Description
Theme 5: A culture of continuous learning for teachers and educational leaders
Developing a culture of continuous learning has been the focus of my personal
inquiry this year. I endeavoured to situate my classroom as an authentic future-focused
learning space, deviating from many of the habits and traditions that are typically practised
within our school. Implementing this paradigm shift, I believed, was endowing my students
with opportunities that actively engaged them in 21st-century problem solving (Bolstad et al
, 2012). I’ve implemented a range of different learning tools and collaborative learning
experiences, to better equip my students with skills that were future-focused and rooted
in 21st-century learning theory. This included coding/programming, STEM (construction,
lego, creating), and electronics (circuit building, mechanics, schematics). My intention was
to create a more coherent educational ecology, that accommodated for new knowledge,
purposes and learning in a changing world (Bolstad et al, 2012).
inquiry this year. I endeavoured to situate my classroom as an authentic future-focused
learning space, deviating from many of the habits and traditions that are typically practised
within our school. Implementing this paradigm shift, I believed, was endowing my students
with opportunities that actively engaged them in 21st-century problem solving (Bolstad et al
, 2012). I’ve implemented a range of different learning tools and collaborative learning
experiences, to better equip my students with skills that were future-focused and rooted
in 21st-century learning theory. This included coding/programming, STEM (construction,
lego, creating), and electronics (circuit building, mechanics, schematics). My intention was
to create a more coherent educational ecology, that accommodated for new knowledge,
purposes and learning in a changing world (Bolstad et al, 2012).
Feelings
When embarking on this journey of future-focused pedagogy, I wasn’t entirely informed.
I’d made many of these changes on the premise of assumption. I’ll admit I was anxious
about making these changes, particularly due to the fact that some staff members were
vocal about their concerns. As Bolstad (2012) explains, others may resist adapting current
approaches if they don’t see the need for change. “It is widely argued that current education
systems, structures, and practices are not sufficient to address and support learning needs
for all students in the 21st century” (Bolstad et al, 2012, p.1).
I’d made many of these changes on the premise of assumption. I’ll admit I was anxious
about making these changes, particularly due to the fact that some staff members were
vocal about their concerns. As Bolstad (2012) explains, others may resist adapting current
approaches if they don’t see the need for change. “It is widely argued that current education
systems, structures, and practices are not sufficient to address and support learning needs
for all students in the 21st century” (Bolstad et al, 2012, p.1).
Analysis/ Evaluation
Elements such as electronics, coding, and STEM/Lego have been extremely beneficial in
regards to student engagement and peer collaboration. My students thoroughly enjoy these
learning times, however, it was at times difficult to justify these learning experiences as valid,
meaningful learning experiences to some of my colleagues. Bolstad suggests that many of the
ideas that underpin future-focused theory differ from what today’s teachers experiences in
their own schooling (Bolstad et al, 2012). I do think some of the insecurities I have come
from my fear of confrontation as well as my lack of understanding of relevant research.
Having this desire to try new things has left me feeling isolated from our school culture at
times.
regards to student engagement and peer collaboration. My students thoroughly enjoy these
learning times, however, it was at times difficult to justify these learning experiences as valid,
meaningful learning experiences to some of my colleagues. Bolstad suggests that many of the
ideas that underpin future-focused theory differ from what today’s teachers experiences in
their own schooling (Bolstad et al, 2012). I do think some of the insecurities I have come
from my fear of confrontation as well as my lack of understanding of relevant research.
Having this desire to try new things has left me feeling isolated from our school culture at
times.
Conclusion
According to Bolstad (2012) In New Zealand, at least four strategies have been used to
support educational ICT developments: providing enabling tools and infrastructure;
providing inspiring ideas and opportunities to connect ideas; enhancing capability;
and supporting innovation. These are all aspects which I believe to be addressing in
some shape or form. There are however some areas of development which I need to
address. Developing a greater understanding of the research done in this area would
greatly afford me the opportunity to support my ideas and perspective for teaching in
the 21st century. If these problems arose again, I do feel I should better equip myself
with sound research and evidence, as opposed to assumptions. Having a deeper
understanding of the research gives me academic weight, and the ability to state my
purposes with confidence and academic support.
References:
According to Bolstad (2012) In New Zealand, at least four strategies have been used to
support educational ICT developments: providing enabling tools and infrastructure;
providing inspiring ideas and opportunities to connect ideas; enhancing capability;
and supporting innovation. These are all aspects which I believe to be addressing in
some shape or form. There are however some areas of development which I need to
address. Developing a greater understanding of the research done in this area would
greatly afford me the opportunity to support my ideas and perspective for teaching in
the 21st century. If these problems arose again, I do feel I should better equip myself
with sound research and evidence, as opposed to assumptions. Having a deeper
understanding of the research gives me academic weight, and the ability to state my
purposes with confidence and academic support.
References:
Bolstad., R. Gilbert, J., McDowall, S., Bull, A., Boyd, S., Hipkins, R. (2012)
Supporting future- orientated learning and teaching – a New Zealand perspective.
Report prepared for the Ministry of Education. Retrieved from
https://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/ publications/schooling/109306
Supporting future- orientated learning and teaching – a New Zealand perspective.
Report prepared for the Ministry of Education. Retrieved from
https://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/ publications/schooling/109306
Comments
Post a Comment